The spectacular Cordillera Huayhuash, located to the south of the Cordillera Blanca, in the central Peruvian Andes , possessing only 40 km is in length, has become a favored destination for trekking adventure.
Cajatambo is a small village in the southern part of the Cordillera Huayhuash. This village is used by many people as a starting point for treks in the Cordillera Huayhuash at it is easily accessed from Lima (6 to 7 hrs.) and Huaraz.
Cajatambo can also be utilized to access the Cordillera Raura, but the other route behind the Cordillera Raura is considered more efficient, though not as beautiful.
Duration: 8 Days / 7 Nights.
Difficulty: Moderate - Difficult.
- Day 1: Huaraz (3,100 mts) - Chiquian (3,400 mts) - Llamac (3,300 mts) - Cuartelhuain Camp (4,200 mts).
- Day 2: Cuartelhuain Camp (4,200 mts) - Cacanan Punta step (4,700 mts) - Mitucocha camp (4,230 mts).
- Day 3: Mitucocha camp (4,230 mts) - Carhuac step (4,650 mts) - Carhuacocha Camp (4,200 mts)
- Day 4: Carhuacocha Camp (4,200 mts) - Carnicero step (4,600 mts) - Huayhuash Camp (4,330 mts).
- Day 5: Huayhuash Camp (4,330 mts) - Portachuelo step (4,750 mts) - Viconga Camp (4,430 mts)
- Day 6: Viconga Camp (4,430 mts) - Corral quemado Camp (4,000 mts)
- Day 7: Corral quemado Camp (4,000 mts) - Cajatambo (3,375 mts)
- Day 8: Cajatambo (3,375 mts) and come back to Huaraz.